Now Booking National and International Workshops!
To book a workshop, click here
2018 Workshop Schedule
- March 24th: Piedmont Pastel Society 1-day demo/workshop
- April 7 and 8: UART Sponsored 2-day workshop held in Nancy’s Home Studio. Use this link to sign up: http://uartpastelpaper.com/uart-workshops-nancy-nowak/
- June 30 – July 7 2018: Workshop in Croatia! Join me in the beautiful resort town in Istria, Croatia for a week-long workshop and get-away next summer! http://workshops.pastelnews.com/nancy-nowak-2018/July 28-29
- July 28-29 – Cumming, GA – Sawnee Assoc. of the Arts 2 Day workshop – Contact An Aspen: firstname.lastname@example.org
- August 7 -8: 2 -day workshop in Lake Toxaway, North Carolina – contact Bette Coningsby- Bconingsby@aol.com. 954-771-1666.
To be notified via email about my workshops, subscribe below
UNGREEN: How to paint the landscape without painting all that green
Come the warm weather, the landscape in the southern states is filled with GREEN…green grass, green trees, green foliage, green bushes. The issue is how to paint all that green without having a green painting. Nancy Nowak will show, through the use of various underpainting techniques and use of other warm and cool colors how to actually work with a green landscape and make it sing.
Instruction and demos will include discussion on materials, in-depth study of composition, value studies. color temperatures and color harmony, importance of simplifying, massing, different methods and techniques of underpainting, step by step painting instruction with critiques, discussion on what makes a successful painting.
Taking Your Pastels to the Next Level by Setting Yourself Up For Success
Pastel Workshop: Learn the secrets to painting a great landscape using this wonderful, luminous medium of pastel, which will include composition and design, value and color harmonies, creating focal areas, various techniques and underpainting. Classes will include demos and lots of one on one attention.
This workshop will cover in depth the foundations and techniques of pastel painting. Geared to the beginner/intermediate, instruction and demos will include:
- discussion on materials
- in-depth study of composition, value studies. color temperatures and color harmony
- How to select and work from a reference photo (importance of simplifying, massing, telling a story)
- different methods and techniques of underpainting
- step by step painting instruction with critiques
- pitfalls and how to avoid them
- discussion on what makes a successful painting
- slide show presentation
Soft Pastels a mixture of hard and soft pastels, the more the better (Schmincke, Unison, Great American, Terry Ludwig, Rembrandt, NuPastel, etc.)
Sanded Paper: 9 x 12 or 11 x 14 or 12 x 16 of UART 400 ( 2-4 sheets). If you can’t get it from your local art supplier, please purchase online. Dakota Art Pastels- http://www.dakotapastels.com/pages/paper-uart.html or
Cheap Joes Art Stuff: http://www.cheapjoes.com/uart-sanded-pastel-paper.html or
Jerry’s Artarama: http://search.jerrysartarama.com/search?keywords=uart+sanded+pastel+paper
We will be painting with an alcohol wash underpainting and some other types of sanded papers are not conducive for this particular workshop (for example: Sennelier La Carte paper). Also, we will need white or cream colored surface for this technique.
Backboard: piece of foam core
reference photos of landscapes: have a few to choose from- at least 5 x 7 – You may work from printed (paper) photos off your computer. If you plan to work from images from your iPad or laptop, please also have a printout, as well.
small sketch pad
pencil – kneaded eraser
small table to put pastels on
rubbing alcohol (and separate jar)
a few stiff brushes for alcohol underpainting – and watercolor brush (flat 1″) for watercolor underpainting
watercolor or gouache set (or at least a tube of red, yellow and blue)
Viva Paper towels
latex gloves (optional)